2020/2021 Winter Experience
We look forward to welcoming our winter guests to the San Juans and remain committed to offering a premier skiing experience while keeping the safety of guests and staff our top priority. Purgatory Resort’s Covid-19 operating plan was approved by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment on November 18, 2020, which requires us to enforce established public health requirements and has resulted in changes to some of our operations for this winter.
- All guests ages 11 and up must wear a mask and stay physically distanced in all public places except when actively engaged in skiing, riding, eating, or drinking.
- Lift tickets will be sold online only and limited quantities will be available. Buy Now.
- Guests will notice changes in our base area including new skier drop-off areas, increased spacing for physical distancing in lift mazes, reduced contact through online purchasing for tickets, skier services, and food ordering, and reducing the number of guests permitted indoors based on where La Plata County falls on the State of Colorado’s Covid-19 Dial Dashboard.
- Add your phone number to activate COVID exposure notifications. Colorado Exposure Notifications can quickly notify you if you’ve likely been exposed, allowing you to reduce the risk for your loved ones, seek timely medical attention, and stay home. Active Alerts.
Commitments to COVID Containment
Our winter operating plan was developed in partnership with San Juan Basin Public Health and the State of Colorado. Guests can find additional information on state or county mandates and health initiatives, click here.
- All guests and employees ages 11 and up must wear a mask and physically distance in all public places except when eating or drinking at a designated dining location or when actively engaged in skiing, riding, or other distanced outdoor activities. Individuals who cannot medically tolerate the wearing of a face-covering should not visit Purgatory Resort this season.
- The Purgatory Resort COVID Action Team (CAT), composed of resort employees and managers, meets regularly and is responsible for resort policies and training guidelines, based on containment procedures and best practices communicated by San Juan Basin Public Health, on COVID prevention protocol rules. Members of the CAT will be the personnel involved in guest enforcement interactions.
- Chairlift procedures will be as follows: guests will self-group and ride chairlifts with their related parties, unrelated parties may share 3, 4 or 6 person chairs with at least one seat in-between each party, no one will be required to ride with someone they do not know.
- Access to indoor spaces will be limited and we ask that all guests plan to be outside more this season, especially on peak days. Guests not renting equipment should boot up at their vehicle and leave any items not needed for skiing there. You will not be able to hang out, store things, or eat a brown bag lunch inside. Buildings will have capacity restrictions and only be for dining or to-go order customer only and bathroom use.
- Tailgating and group gatherings in the parking lots will not be allowed. Only parties that arrived at the ski area together with can gather and group sizes must be 10 or less.
- We will follow all guidelines for cleaning and disinfecting public spaces and ventilation to ensure proper ventilation across the resort.
- In the case of an extreme weather event, injury, or other emergencies, we will prioritize the immediate safety and sheltering needs of guests and staff when in conflict with these COVID-19 guidelines.
- Any individual who tests positive for or has been exposed to COVID-19, while in Colorado, will immediately go into isolation and we will work closely with local health officials to notify persons who may have been in contact with that person.
- Please note operations may change at any time and resort officials will diligently monitor Colorado’s COVID dial and county status to make the necessary shifts to operation in concordance with state mandates.
Lift Tickets and Passes
- We don’t anticipate a reservation system for our passholders. Eligible passholders may redeem $83 buddy tickets at the ticket window.
- All tickets must be purchased online. Ticket window transactions will not be available but you will be able to purchase tickets online on the day you wish to ski. Remember to buy early and save!
- On peak days, expect to see higher rates due to increased demand, and conversely, expect to see much lower pricing on weekdays and other non-peak time periods.
- Half-day and Columbine-only tickets will not be available for this season.
- Coming soon! The brand new Purgatory Card will hold all lift tickets, rental reservations, and resort credits in one single, reloadable card. The Purgatory Card itself is absolutely free and will be offered to all ticketed guests prior to and upon arrival. Learn More.
- Students and instructors will receive symptom and exposure questionnaires upon their arrival to the ski area for ski school.
- All group lessons must be booked online, in advance here. Private lessons must be requested here.
- Students will proceed directly to the on-snow check-in desk instead of going indoors and will be connected with their teacher at that time. New for this season all ages of beginner lessons will meet in the Columbine area in their designated area. All ages and levels of privates will meet on snow in the base area.
- All ski school groups will be limited to 5 students per instructor.
- Private lessons will be available early season with group lessons scheduled for mid-December.
- Snowburners, a 4-week lesson program for kids, is now available. Learn more.
- Safety on chairlifts is paramount, and maintaining seating distance is not required for ski school groups with students too young to ride chairlifts by themselves safely, or those who require additional assistance or have additional needs to ride chairlifts safely.
- Advanced (at least 72 hours) online reservations are required. Guests will select a pick-up time window for rental equipment to manage customer congregation.
New! Now offering an online food ordering option featuring convenient to-go options. Learn More.
- Additional extra outdoor seating will be available at select locations and there are no capacity limits for outdoor dining. Outdoor dining spaces must allow for 6 feet between parties, per local zoning.
- Contactless payment methods are available at all of our restaurants, so we encourage guests to avoid bringing cash.
- Limited in-person dining available at a first-come, first-serve basis at select outlets. Guests must present a valid lift ticket or season pass to enter. *Click here to learn more about La Plata County’s 5 Star Certification program for our indoor dining approvals.
- We have relaxed our lodging cancellation policy so our guests can enjoy flexibility.
- Trip Protection is available to add to any Purgatory Resort lodging reservation.
- Partner with San Juan Basin Public Health in any community-wide efforts to create opportunities for guests to safely isolate and quarantine in the event that they test positive during their stay and cannot travel without disrupting upcoming bookings.
- Questions? Call our experts toll-free at 800-525-0892 today! We’d love to talk to you about our various resort lodging options and answer any questions.
Parking and Transportation
- The Graduate Lift (adjacent to the Columbine lots) will run daily starting November 27 at 8:15 a.m. to transport skiers to the Base Area.
- Purgatory’s FREE parking lot shuttle service runs from 9:00am-4:30pm, every day from the arrival court to both upper and lower Columbine parking lots, the Columbine area, and the Gelande overflow parking. We ask that one person per household utilize the shuttle and drop off the rest of their party using our newly designated skier drop off areas.
- A mask must be worn while waiting in line and riding a shuttle.
- Shuttles are currently operating at 50% capacity. Please be patient and maintain 6 feet of distance while waiting in line.
- All retail shops must adhere to Colorado retail guidance and capacity limits based on the dial level.