Position Title:Switchboard Operator
Reports To:Front Desk Supervisor/ General Manager
This position will be the point of initial contact for guests calling the Purgatory Resort Information phone number. The successful candidate will operate the switchboard in an efficient, courteous and professional manner to maximize guest satisfaction. They will also respond to guest inquiries regarding reservations, lodging information, resort information, snow reports and guest concerns. This position will also back up the Lodging Front Desk personnel as needed, and aid in emergency communications via radio and phone.
- Answer Purgatory Information line in a pleasant and courteous manner within 3 rings and transfer the call to appropriate department or person, or assist the guest as required.
- Answer a variety of questions from guests, and handle routine problems, referring more unusual or difficult problems or complaints to supervisor or other appropriate staff members.
- Assist in emergency communications between departments and external emergency agencies via radio and phone.
Front Desk assistance:
- Check in guests at front desk, entering appropriate information into and running necessary reports from computer system.
- Take payments, post charges, enter amounts into computer, and balance accounts at end of shift.
- Check guests out.
- Assist guests with keys for lodging properties.
- Relay maintenance and housekeeping requests to proper staff members.
- Perform other related clerical tasks.
- Assist in the cleanliness and general maintenance of the front desk and reception area.
Knowledge/Skills: Excellent hearing and comprehension required to clearly hear and understand the guest. Moderate vision required to read computer screen and printed materials. Excellent speech communication skills required.
- Compassion – Genuinely cares about guests and other employees. Be available and ready to help as needed.
- Composure – Is cool under pressure; does not become defensive or irritated when times are tough; is considered mature; can be counted on to hold things together during tough times; can handle stress; is not knocked off balance by the unexpected; doesn’t show frustration when resisted or blocked; is a settling influence in a crisis.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people, guests and employees alike. Builds appropriate rapport and effective relationships, and can defuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Education or Formal Training –
- High school education or equivalent experience. Bilingual an advantage (Spanish,German or other language).
- 1 year previous work experience in an office or hotel front desk environment required.
- Previous call center or switchboard experience preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of Purgatory Resort, Durango, and Southwest Colorado required.
- Knowledge of Purgatory Resort departments, events and personnel preferred.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used
Phone system, computer systems, fax machine, photocopier, radio.
Work Environment/Physical Activities
Work inside 95% shift. Very occasional trips outdoors may be required to assist Lodging Front Desk and Guests. Outdoors environment has constantly changing weather conditions, including but not limited to extreme cold, wet, snow, and wind.
Extended periods of sitting at a computer and talking on a headset. Bending/kneeling. Some standing to assist the front desk. Occasional carrying and lifting of files and office items up to 25 lbs.