Reports To:Snowmaking Foreman
Set up and Operate snowmaking equipment in order to make quality machine-produced snow to provide a safe and quality ski experience for Purgatory Resort guests.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Know the area of the mountain covered by the snowmaking system – location of hydrants, valve boxes, layout of the system, expansion plans and the general terrain.
- Properly operate and care for all equipment used such as snowmobiles, trucks, guns, hoses, valves, hydrants, and radios.
- Ensure no damage to trees, lifts, buildings, vehicles, or the environment occurs.
- Practice appropriate snowmaking procedures to produce the best quality of snow, safely. Know the various types of man-made snow, when each type is used, gun placement, hose movement, and operation of different guns.
- Set up, move, monitor and adjust snowmaking guns.
- Shut guns off and move equipment to new site.
- Dismantle and put equipment away.
- Check safety equipment daily for proper function. Use all safety equipment and procedures at all times.
- Report to work wearing appropriate cold weather clothing and footwear.
- Keep the lines of communications open with other mountain team members, such as Grooming, Lift Operations and Mountain Patrol to avoid hazards and maintain safe ski area operations.
- Operate compressor and pump facilities, if required.
- Complete necessary paperwork such as fuel logs, repair orders, time cards, in a timely manner.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Basic mechanical skills. Must be able to pass a written and driving snowmobile test. Alertness, precision, initiative, ingenuity, common sense, decision-making, problem-solving, analytic ability, judgment, patience, concentration, spatial perception, creativity, concentration and auditory, tactile, and visual discrimination are necessary mental abilities.
Education or Formal Training: Valid Driver’s License
Experience: Previous skiing knowledge of the area and the snowmaking system helpful.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Flashlights, Snowmobile, 1/2 ton pick-up truck, snowmaking guns, snow hoses with couplers, wrenches, hammers, shovels, picks, digging bars, trailers, confined space rescue equipment, and other related industrial tools and supplies.Apply Now