Mountain Safety Volunteer
Position Title:Mountain Safety Volunteer
Reports To:Mountain Safety Supervisor
Assist in the creation and promotion of the safest environment for Purgatory guests and employees, educate skiers/snowboarders of the Skiers’ Responsibility Code, and serve as an ambassador for guest services. Uphold, demonstrate and maintain the highest level of guest safety and satisfaction on the mountain.
- Provide professional, friendly and courteous services to guests and visitors of Purgatory Resort. Personally assist guests with all requests and inquiries.
- Maintain the highest level of guest safety while skiing/boarding and standing on mountain trails, on varied terrain in high altitude with varying winter conditions.
- Demonstrate, know and actively educate guests on aspects of the 1979 Colorado Skier Safety Act, Senate Bill 80 and Purgatory Mountain rules and regulations.
- Assist the Patrol in mountain sweep procedures.
- Pro-actively maintain trail safety markings, pads and mitigate hazards. Report any existing or potential safety hazards to Supervisor immediately and remedy when possible.
- Assist guests to their feet and/or descend the mountain.
- Notify dispatcher of injuries and/or violations using established procedures.
- Must work specific dates as defined by Mountain Safety Supervisor.
- Commit to completing a minimum of 10 shifts over the course of the season.
Other duties as assigned.
Education or Formal Training: Current CPR and First Responder certification preferred.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Intermediate skiing/snowboarding ability, able to ski/snowboard all terrain in all conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to remain levelheaded and tactful in difficult situations.
- Must be able to work at high altitudes in inclement weather
- Must be available to work holidays and weekends
- Knowledge of local area and Purgatory Resort.
- Must be able to stand outside for extended periods of time in variable winter conditions and at high altitude.
- Thorough knowledge of Purgatory Resort operations
- Prior guest services experience.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Skis/Snowboards, lifts, radio, hand tools, office equipment.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- 80% of the work day is spent outdoors at high altitudes and in constantly changing weather conditions, including but not limited to extreme cold, wet, snow and wind.
- 20% of the work day is spent indoors.
- 30% of the work day is spent skiing/snowboarding, 15% is spent walking, 25% is spent standing and 30% is spent sitting.
- Majority of walking and standing is done while wearing ski or snowboard boots.
- Majority of sitting is on exposed chair lifts in a winter environment.
- Occasionally lifting and carrying people and objects in excess of 150 pounds.
- Frequent use of skis/snowboard, poles, and safety equipment.
- Constant use of near and far acuity and depth perception.
- Frequently climbing, balancing, reaching, engaging in normal conversation, and use of color and field of vision.
- Occasionally stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, fingering, feeling.
- Frequent exposure to radiant energy.
- Occasional exposure to mechanical hazards, high exposed worksite, burns, explosives, toxic and caustic chemicals, fumes, odors, mists, gases and poor ventilation.