Mountain Bike Patrol – Full Time Seasonal Position
Position Title:Mountain Bike Patrol – Full Time Seasonal Position
Reports To:Patrol Director
We are looking for energetic, fun loving, fit employees to join our Bike Patrol Team at Purgatory Resort. The successful candidate will have a passion for providing and promoting a safe environment for Purgatory guests and employees. The role of a Mountain Bike Patroller is similar to that of a Ski Patroller in that the Patroller will educate guests about safety considerations, monitor guests to ensure general mountain safety, and provide emergency medical care when necessary. Mountain Bike Patrol is a highly visible role at Purgatory Resort and requires a great deal of guest interaction.
- Provide professional, friendly and courteous service to guest and employees, including responding to medical emergencies on the mountain, transporting injured guests off the mountain, and ensuring general mountain safety.
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of Bike Patrol procedures.
- Patrol the Bike Park to ensure trail readiness and assist injured guests.
- Know, understand, and adhere to the 2018 Bike Park Safety Act and Purgatory Resort mountain rules and regulations.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely and professional manner including logs, accident reports and checklists.
- Follow safety procedures at all times. Report any existing or potential safety hazard to supervisor immediately and remedy when possible according to established protocols.
- Check safety equipment daily for proper function.
- Perform sweeps at the end of the day to ensure that all guests and employees are safely off the mountain.
- Complete all duties and tasks with the utmost regard for personal and guest safety.
- Continuing education and on-the-job training provided and expected.
- Special duties may include chairlift evacuation, out-of-bounds and/or night search and rescue activities.
- Responsibilities may include creation and maintenance of the trail within the bike park in cooperation with the bike park trail crew.
- Must provide own downhill mountain bike and helmet.
- Successful candidates will be required to work variable shifts, including weekends and school/public holidays.
- Other duties as assigned.
Entry-Level Job Qualifications:
Education or Formal Training: Current CPR for Healthcare Providers and Colorado EMT certification required. National Registry EMT certification preferred. A valid drivers license is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: Outdoor rescue skills. Advanced level mountain bike riding skills preferred. Ability to ride all trails in all conditions. Excellent interpersonal skills.
Must be able to work outside for extended periods of time in variable weather conditions and at high altitude.
Experience: Prior experience in EMT position preferred, especially in the outdoor environment.
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Mountain Bike, lifts, all-terrain vehicles, radio, hand tools, medical care equipment and simple office equipment.
Working Environment/Physical Activities:
60% of the work day is spent outdoors in constantly changing weather conditions at high altitude, including but not limited to extreme heat, cold, wet, snow, hail, and wind. 20% of the workday is spent indoors. 40% of the work day is spent biking,40% of the work day is spent walking or hiking. Majority of walking and standing is done in an alpine environment.
Occasionally lifting and carrying people and objects weighing in excess of 150 pounds, and occasionally pushing or pulling litters with injured guests weighing up to 300 pounds. Frequent use of mountain bikes and all-terrain vehicles. Constant use of near and far acuity and depth perception. Frequently climbing, balancing, reaching, handling, engaged in normal conversation, and use of color and field of vision. Occasionally stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, fingering, feeling.
Frequent exposure to radiant energy. Occasional exposure to bio hazards associated with patient care, mechanical hazards, high exposed worksite, burns, explosives, toxic and caustic chemicals, fumes, odors, mists, gases and poor ventilation.