General Manager, Durango Mountain Club
Position Title:General Manager, Durango Mountain Club
Reports To:Vice President, Community Services
Department:Durango Mountain Club
The Durango Mountain Club and Pinnacle Residence Club opened in 2008; both are located within Purgatory Lodge. The Club is an amenity for the residents of Durango Mountain Resort and other local members and are owned by the Durango Mountain Master Association (DMMA). Club facilities include the Lounge, Family Game Room, Fitness Center, Pool, Hot Tub, Ski Valet, Locker room and Day Spa (which is run under contract). The Club has members from two populations: (1) homeowners who are members of the Durango Mountain Master Association; and (2) non-residents who apply for membership. In addition, resort lodging and rental guests are able to use certain of the Club’s facilities as a lodging/rental amenity. The Durango Mountain Institute is also owned by DMMA as a small to medium sized conference/events center. The Pinnacle Residence Club is located on the 5th floor of the Lodge and is a private amenity for owners and guests staying in the eight 5th floor penthouse units and is functionally under the purview of the Purgatory Lodge Owners Association.
Operational, financial and personnel management of the Durango Mountain Club and Pinnacle Residence Club facilities in Purgatory Lodge and the Durango Mountain Institute to achieve best-in-class service, amenities and activities that meet the needs of homeowners, non-resident members and guests.
- Member/guest service & satisfaction: Undertake extensive personal interaction with members and guests to build rapport, seek input and offer service. Undertake periodic customer satisfaction surveys; assess results and implement adjustments to improve service. Know every member by face and name. Coach all employees to provide “concierge” level services in response to Member requests and needs.
- Personnel management: Recruit, hire, train, supervise, evaluate and mentor all staff in a manner that creates a culture of guest service excellence and “best in class” service, amenities and activities. Create, train and model service standards that achieve excellent service in all aspects of operations. Hold employees accountable and reward high levels of performance. Create a positive employee environment and team rapport.
- Financial/budgetary management: Prepare and execute fiscal year based operational budgets for the 3 facilities. Monitor monthly financial statements/budget reports and make operational adjustments to meet budget targets. Develop and monitor key financial indicators to permit timely adjustments to meet targets. Assure initiation fee, dues and monthly billing collections are properly executed. Oversee ordering, inventory management and controls and approval of accounts payable.
- Activity & Event Programming: Create diverse club/member programs for varied audiences to include families, teens, children, couples and individuals/singles. Partner with other resort teams & employees to grow four-season programs and activities to maximize opportunities for member and guest use of the facilities and the resort.
- Welcome/Orientation: Make sure all new members and first time visitors to the facilities are given a warm welcome and a thorough orientation tour room by room with explanations of how to operate all features and any special equipment.
- Cleanliness: Provide quality control (white glove test) inspection of all facilities’ janitorial and maintenance conditions and ensure that they are kept sparkling clean and well-stocked.
- Membership Marketing and Sales: lead non-resident membership recruitment marketing and sales to achieve quarterly and annual membership goals.
- Vendor/Contractor Management: Monitor, evaluate and manage the Purgy’s provided food service and contracted day spa service providers to assure high levels of service and professionalism.
- Staff Communications: Create internal communications to keep employees of the resort, community services, real estate, realty and other interested parties up-to-date on facility operations and activities.
- Executive/Board Reporting: Provide regular club status reporting to the DMMA President, Association Manager and DMMA/PLOA Boards regarding the progress of the applicable facility operations, service standards and membership recruitment.
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned.
Job Qualifications (Education, Knowledge/Skills/Abilities):
- Hospitality management experience (minimum 5 years) preferred including employee, operations, IT systems, inventory/ordering and financial management.
- Knowledge of information technology systems such as excel and word. Ability to be trained and master specialized systems such as siriusware, ultipro, intacct, ski valet inventory and the id card system.
- College education preferred but not required.
- Available to work holidays, weekends and evenings.
Work Environment/Physical Activities:
- Work duties are approximately 90% indoors; 10% outdoors.
- Outdoor activities include operational support of pool, hot tub and deck. Also includes events and activities for club members and guests, some of which are snow based. Ability to ski/snowboard is not required.
- Indoor environment includes all club and institute spaces including kitchens, bars, game room, fitness center, locker and restrooms.
- Activities can include lifting/moving heavy items such as beer kegs, furniture, fitness equipment, water jugs and skis/snowboards.
- This is a non-skiing position.
- Bar and kitchen cooking and serving implements
- IT systems including siriusware, ultipro, intacct, ski valet inventory and id card
- Cleaning equipment and solutions.
- Audio/visual equipment including portable sound systems and permanently installed audio/visual systems.