Director – Sales
Position Title:Director - Sales
Reports To:General Manager
Are you interested in joining the fastest growing outdoor recreation lifestyle resort company in the U.S.? Mountain Capital Partners (MCP) is creating a collection of resorts, including Purgatory (Durango, CO), Arizona Snowbowl (Flagstaff, AZ), Sipapu (Taos, NM), and Pajarito (Los Alamos, NM). Our focus is serving the rapidly growing southwestern region population base. If you have a passion for the outdoors and sharing that passion with others, we want you to join MCP to create and foster a strong culture of guest service, happiness and quality of life for our guests, employees, community and region.
MCP is committed to growing our community of outdoor enthusiasts by consistently and dramatically improving the offerings and experience at each of our resorts, accelerating winter and summer visits and driving revenue growth at existing resorts while acquiring new resorts that add strategic value.
Purgatory Resort is currently recruiting for a Director of Sales who will function as the leader of the resort sales department. This position will manage the property’s reactive and proactive sales efforts. Successful candidates should be able to thrive in a high paced, constantly changing environment.
The Director of Sales (DOS) is responsible for all aspects of Purgatory Resort sales including lodging, tickets, rentals, ski/ride school and summer activities. The sales director position plays an essential role in creating, planning, and executing key strategic sales initiatives.
Essential Duties/ Responsibilities:
- To provide day-to-day leadership to sales associates to achieve resort sales objectives, with overall responsibility for achieving booking and resort revenue goals.
- Implementation of the brand’s service strategy and applicable brand initiatives in all aspects of the sales process
- Evaluates the property’s participation in the various sales channels (e.g., Area Sales, Group Sales within the Sales Office, electronic lead channels, etc.) and develops strong working relationships to proactively position and market the resort.
- Manages the development of a strategic account plan for the demand generators in the market.
- Reviews the Strategic Alignment Review (STAR) report, competitive shopping reports and uses other resources to maintain an awareness of the hotel’s market position.
- Participates in sales calls with members of the Sales and Marketing team to acquire new business and/or close on business.
- Executes and supports the operational aspects of business booked (e.g., generating proposal, writing contract, customer correspondence).
- Monitors the effective resolution of guest issues that arise as a result of the sales process by creating mechanisms to channel issues to property leadership and/or other appropriate stakeholders.
- Develops strong community and public relations by maintaining property participation in local, regional and national tradeshows, and client events.
- Gains understanding of the hotel’s primary target customer and service expectations; to offer better business solution both prior to, and during the program/event.
- Develops sales goals and strategies and verifies alignment with the brand business strategy.
- Executes the sales strategy in order to meet individual booking goals for both self and staff.
- Coaches and mentors leaders of revenue generating departments in developing effective revenue strategies and setting aggressive goals that will drive the resorts financial performance.
- Creates effective structures, processes, jobs and performance management systems or ensures that they are in place and are reviewed for effectiveness.
- Champions leadership development and workforce planning priorities by assessing, selecting, retaining and developing diverse, high-caliber talent that can lead the organization today and strengthen the leadership bench for the future; continues to upgrade the sales & marketing talent; works with HR to anticipate future talent needs based on business growth plans.
- Identifies, trains and mentors group sales associates; utilizes all available on the job training tools for associates.
- Other duties as assigned
- 2-year or 4-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Marketing, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in sales, with at least one year of experience in sales management
- Proven sales leadership experience in travel/leisure industry is preferred.
- 4-year college degree, preferably in business.
- Lodging or Resort sales experience.
- Ski resort industry work experience, demonstrating progressive career growth and a pattern of exceptional performance.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proven leader with proven sales results
- Demonstrated strategic thinking skills
- Great communication and organization skills
- Experience in successfully managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Good computer skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Ability to manage difficult situations
- Ability to ski/snowboard with clients/guests
Material and Equipment Directly Used:
Computer, telephone, copy/fax machine
Working Environment/ Physical Activities:
- 80 % of the day spent working in an open office environment at the resort. 70% is spent sitting using computer and phone. 15% is spent standing and 15% walking.
- Occasional outdoors work in constantly changing weather conditions, including but not limited to extreme cold, wet, snow and wind.
- Some travel required. For example, attendance at consumer trade shows each fall (3-5 shows total). Will be required to meet the standards for driving company vehicles.