Bike Mechanic/Service Technician
Position Title:Bike Mechanic/Service Technician
Reports To:Store Supervisor/Manager
Department:Purgatory Sports Downtown
Service Technicians, also known as bike mechanics, represent the link between customers and our service department. Being able to comfortably interact with customers is a basic expectation of all service personnel. This includes being able to respond to telephone inquiries, as well as customers in the store who have questions, want to buy parts/bikes, drop off a bike for service, pick up a completed service job, or rent bikes.
When not responding to customer needs, technicians will spend the balance of their shift building or repairing bicycles, installing parts, or calling customers who have completed repairs waiting to be picked up. Service technicians must be highly skilled in the maintenance and repair of a wide variety of bicycle makes, models and component parts. It is also an expectation that service technicians will keep current with new technology and changes in equipment design.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Assists customers in an enthusiastic, professional and courteous manner.
- Responsible for properly taking in all service work including correctly filling out service work orders, scheduling an appropriate number of repairs and completing those repairs in a timely manner.
- Advises and assists customers with their product selection without bias.
- Communicates with store manager repair and warranty part needs.
- Develops and maintains knowledge expertise of all merchandise in department to effectively assist customers with accurate information; keeps current as new product lines are introduced.
- Assists with bike sales and any other bike floor duties as needed.
- Maintain rental fleet of mountain bikes, road bikes and cruisers.
- Appropriately fit customers for rental bikes according to industry standards.
- Assemble bikes to high level of QC standards, 2nd check bikes assembled by others.
- Maintains a clean and safe workplace.
- Check all safety equipment daily for proper function.
- Use all safety equipment and procedures at all times.
- Report any existing or potential safety hazard to supervisor immediately or remedy when possible.
Performs other duties as assigned by the store manager/supervisor.
2 years of bike mechanic experience required. Additional customer service experience preferred. Must be at least 18 years old.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Solid customer relations skills. Basic knowledge of mechanical principles. Advanced technical knowledge of bike mechanics.
Alertness, precision, problem solving, concentration, judgment, patience, oral and written communication skills are necessary.
Education or Formal Training: High school diploma or GED preferred.
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED:
Bikes, hand tools, point-of-sale cash register, and simple office equipment.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
Must be available to work holidays and weekends. 90% of the workday is spent indoors working on bikes. 60% of the work day is spent standing and 40% is spent walking.
Occasionally lifting objects weighing up to 100 pounds. Frequently carrying, pushing and pulling objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Constantly engaged in normal conversation. Frequently stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, handling, fingering, feeling, and use of near acuity. Occasionally climbing and use of far acuity, depth perception and field of vision. Atmospheric conditions frequently include fumes and occasionally odors and dusts.Apply Now