Position Title:Bike Instructor
Provide safe, professional, competent, and fun mountain biking instruction to Purgatory Resort guests in a mountain summer environment.
- Provide mountain biking instruction to guests up to 6 hours a day. You will be required to teach both children and adults of all abilities.
- Make appropriate decisions regarding student progressions, terrain and teaching different abilities/attitudes.
- Stay up to date on all local trail and bike park trail knowledge.
- Have a clear understanding of and adhere to all mountain policies and procedures.
- Promote and emphasize safety in all classes.
- Wear assigned uniform and adhere to Appearance policy set forth by Purgatory Resort.
- Must be able to reason and react quickly with thoughtful judgment, while remaining calm under pressure.
- Must have knowledge of basic bike mechanics.
- Criminal record check required.
- Assist in maintaining locker room.
- Communicate any existing or potential safety hazards to supervisor immediately.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be able to bike at an advanced intermediate level or above
- Demonstrate effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Alertness, precision, ingenuity, problem solving, analytic ability, spatial perception, persuasiveness, memory, creativity, concentration, judgment, aesthetic sense, reasoning, imagination, initiative, patience, auditory and visual discrimination, excellent speaking and hearing ability are necessary abilities
Education or Formal Training:
- Level 1 Mountain Bike Instructors (PMBI) course, or equivalent preferred.
- 2+ years experience coaching kids preferred
- Mountain bike instructing or coaching experience preferred
MATERIAL AND EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED: Bicycles, chair lifts, basic bike tools, protective equipment.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
95% of the work day is spent outdoors in constantly changing weather conditions: these include extreme cold, snow, and wind during the winter season, extreme heat and wet in the spring season. 60% of the workday is spent biking, 15% is spent sitting, 15% is spent standing, and 10% is spent walking. Majority of sitting is on exposed chair lifts in a summer Alpine environment.
Frequently lifting guests who have fallen, weighing up to 200 pounds and occasionally more. Constantly climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling and crouching to help guests with their equipment and while maneuvering on their bikes.Apply Now