Assistant Ski Patrol Director
Position Title:Assistant Ski Patrol Director
Reports To:Ski Patrol Director
Provide and help supervise professional first aid and rescue operations provided by Purgatory Patrol, maintain trails, participate in skier/snowboard education and monitor skiing/snowboarding to ensure mountain safety. Lead and/or supervise rescue operations, such as lift evacuation, night search, avalanche control, rescue and mass casualty incidents. Assist the Mountain Patrol Director in the assignment and supervision of daily patrol activities.
- Be able to coordinate and supervise patrollers in all aspects of patrol duties.
- Provide professional, friendly and courteous service, including first aid, alpine rescue, and mountain safety.
- Know and actively enforce the 1979 Colorado Skier Safety Act, Senate Bill 80 and Purgatory Resort mountain rules and regulations.
- Maintain complete knowledge of Patrol procedures; supervise, instruct and guide other patrol members in following Patrol procedures.
- Prepare monthly, weekly, and daily schedules and supervise daily work assignments / special duties.
- Manage / instruct training for pre-season refresher, early season and new Patroller training, provide ongoing EMT and in-service on-the-snow training.
- Lead annual NSP proficiency check offs.
- Lead and/or supervise rescue operations, such as lift evacuation, night search, avalanche control, rescue and mass casualty incidents.
- Supervise and direct maintenance of trail safety markings, pads and hazards.
- Complete all required documentation in a timely and professional manner including logs, incident reports and checklists. Provide weekly quality assurance of paperwork and documentation.
- Provide supervision and training to all Patrollers and motivate them to achieve the next professional level in their Patrol status (Apprentice to Journeyman, Journeyman to Master Patroller, and Master Patroller to Foreman).
- Notify Patrol Directors of any performance, behavior, or insubordination issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Expert first aid and alpine rescue skills.
- Expert skiing ability, able to ski/snowboard all terrain in all conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Basic understanding of snow physics.
- Effective and efficient
- Positive and supportive leadership skills.
- Familiarity with computer use, including Word, Excel, Power Point, Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc
Education or Formal Training:
- Current CPR and Colorado EMT certification required. Additional OEC certification a plus.
- Completion of avalanche course.
- Trained for and able to train in specialized rescues, such as ascenders, high angle, low angle, difficult extrications and transports.
- At least 5 years of patrol experience, with a minimum of 2 years in a Leadership and Supervisory position.